Saturday, June 16, 2007

How are things today

Things are going much better. The doctor has declared me the epitome of health. We are just waiting for the aches and pains in my body to catch up. Better living through Advil. Ugghh.

Well, seems two surgeries in two years and all the sickness, time off work, etc managed to move me to the top of the "eliminate that job" - "we are only hiring for our group overseas" - "the company is downsizing" list. (Coincidentally, three or four working days after my last note saying the doctor couldn't find anything else wrong with me.)

However, I think it was all the right timing. It was getting very tough working for a company that appeared to be deliberately de-skilling their workers for the sole purpose of sending jobs overseas to cut costs. It really makes one wonder... when are companies going to realize that they sold their own economic and intellectual stability out of the country? Probably when it's too late, and Wall Street punishes them for no longer having any intrinsic value. Especially technology based companies that are dependent on skilled workers. Brainpower and people-power is their asset.

Ouch. But, I guess they are doing what they think they need to do to survive. Maybe Wall Street won't realize the brain trust is gone before the people doing it have cashed in their assets?

All that's ok though. In spite of an economy that is in flux, there is still a lot of opportunity out there. We are trying for different things and hope to see good things soon. I know that God watches over us and is faithful. Our family has been very blessed over the years and I've had opportunity to work in good jobs, with good people and learned a lot, from them and the job. For that I'm very grateful and am very excited about the next opportunity around the corner.

No comments: