Thursday, August 28, 2008

God IS Faithful... and, by the way, He's in charge too

It's funny. Based on different things I was going to name this entry "Ask and you shall receive". However, over the past week or two, while I had this entry sitting in edit mode, God has been teaching my wife and I a thing or three.

In one sermon we heard, the teacher was talking about some of the hardest times in her life, when people kept saying to her "What are you going to do?" "How are you going to fix that?". She said sometimes her response was to try to "fix" things. But what happens when you can't fix things? That's when you learn the right answer all along wasn't about you. It's about God. What's God going to do? Isn't it folly for us to think, even when things are going good, great and swimmingly, that we had would claim the glory?

For instance, I told a friend the other day, that since I was a child, I've never been in a situation that I couldn't go whole hog and work hard and get things on the right track. There were times, when my wife and I were first married, that I was able to hold down two jobs. There were times, when as short as a couple of years ago, I could work days on just a few hours sleep. This friend of mine said that even that glory goes to God, it's because of Him and not me, and he was right.

I find that today a lot of people have a lot of advice and question. "You should do this." or "I would do this." or "I wouldn't do that!" or "What are you going to do?"

Well, plain and simple I'm a planner. I know formulas and catch phrases and how to plan and brainstorm. I've actually been taught and studied how to troubleshoot and plan. I've even planned how to recover from big messes, and done it. However, today isn't about me or my plan, it's about God's plan.

Another coincidence is that we were watching Evan Almighty the other night. It's a modern day story of a modern day Noah. What was interesting is that the depiction of God there was correct, when it showed Him as being more concerned about things that we don't think are the real reason for what is going on. Even when everyone may be looking on and calling us the fool, He is still in charge. And even then, God still pursues us, works in spite of us and uses the foolish things of the world to confound the wise.



It's an interesting thing to say you're a Christian. Sometimes we forget that its putting it all on the line, saying our life and the things around us no longer belong to us, they belong to God. It's easy to say it belongs to God when times are easy, it's easy to say your life is His, when you seem to be on top of the world, but then the question is, is God really first? How much are you willing to give and still praise him?

So, what am I going to do? I'm going to trust in God and His faithfulness. I'm going to go forward as far as I can and then I'm going to stand. I'm going to trust this adventure to God. And we are praising Him through it all.

No comments: