Thursday, October 09, 2008

Fun with a cookie feast

There are lots of funny times that happen in our home.

All of our children have different passions and personalities. So, our 4 year old, Aaron, tends to be a light sleeper, in fact, we like to call him the night roamer. He has this nickname because he tends to wake up at 3am, 4am or 5am depending on the day of the week? We think he acquired the bad gene for it from his Dad (go figure, lol). Heather and I accuse me because she likes her sleep and I have traditionally been the 4 hours a night and how come the day hasn't started yet, person.

Well, the other night I was sleeping and our serious, almost 5, 4 year old got up during the night. Probably around 4am. He woke me up and announced that he was hungry. I decided, in my infinite lack of wisdom, that it was too early for him to eat and if he would like a sippy cup with Koolaid, would that suffice? He affirmed, at least I think he did, because I was in that half groggy state between awake and asleep where I was refusing to wake up quite yet and start my day.

I stumbled around the kitchen and got him a sippycup, turned the pre-school or toon disney channel on and laid back down on the loveseat to go to sleep. (All of this usually prompts him to play on the computer or watch cartoons.)

Well, the usual was not for that morning. It seems the evening before we had some packages of Vienna Finger, shortbread type cookies and some double stuff chocolate filling type cookie and had left them on the kitchen counter.

Well, Aaron decided that KoolAid was probably not enough, he was still hungry. So, he turned the tv down, grabbed a second comforter to tuck me in (I of course am oblivious and sawing many zzz's) and went exploring into the kitchen.

The end result was that I was getting hot and trying to figure out why the living room had gotten so quiet, if he was watching tv. So, I sat up on the love seat looking around, trying to figure out where Aaron was, and calling his name. There was no response. So I got up and walked over to the computer desk and there was Aaron, with a pile of cookie shells. He had opened every one and licked all the cream out!

I stood there, amused and dismayed and told him he needed to take the cookie shells to the kitchen table. He looked at me with big, solemn eyes, and said "Do I just throw them away, Dad, or do I save them for Ryan?"

Somewhere between laughing and getting upset about the cookie disaster (clearly, the parents fault :-P ) I said to him sternly and gruffly, as he looked up at me with eyes as big as nervous saucers, "No Aaron, you don't throw them away... You are supposed to eat the shells with milk."


He took a step back, in surprise, I think expecting to get in trouble and said "Ok". So, I poured him a glass of milk and he proceeded to dunking and munching.

Halfway through as I'm sitting in the living room again (not going back to sleep this time!) I hear his voice, all matter of fact and as if you had asked him the cure to world hunger, muffled by a mouthful of cookies and milk saying "You know Dad, this is really good with milk!"

No comments: